So he has finally proposed and you have accepted! Congratulations!
But where do you get married? If you are dreaming of a Destination Wedding in beautiful Tobago, we can make your dreams come true. Our company is managed by two Tobago locals and our Tobago office was established in 2003 to assist brides and Event Planners worldwide is booking venues, Marriage Officiants , providing décor, rental items , catering, bar and photography services. We have a great relationship with a number of rental villas, venues, hotels and the Department of Tourism and can take care of all wedding details
Legal Requirements for getting married in Tobago
To avoid disappointment it is important to observe and note the following documentary and legal requirements:
- Both parties must be resident in Tobago (and/or Trinidad) for a minimum of 3 days before the wedding ceremony. It is important to note that the day of your arrival does not count in the three-day period. The Special Marriage License can be applied for from the fourth day and is valid for six months. Some countries require that their intention to marry is registered in their home country and others require an apostille to the marriage certificates.
- Both parties must produce proof of ID in the form of passports and proof of entry. Visitors with e-tickets should ensure they have a printed copy of their ticket.
- Divorcees must produce the Decree Absolute with court stamp. Widows and widowers must produce the Death Certificate of the former spouse.
- Anyone under 18 years of age must produce a Statutory Declaration, signed and stamped by a solicitor, proving parental consent.
- If you have changed your name, or are a divorced woman who has reverted to her maiden name, your must supply legal proof signed and stamped by a solicitor.
- Wedding ceremonies can be conducted almost anywhere, subject to agreement with the priest or minister. Ceremonies can only take place after 6am and before 6pm. It should be noted that civil weddings can only be conducted at the Registrar’s Office in Scarborough.
The Marriage License is available from the following offices on production of all necessary documentation. The Special License is TT$300, from the Warden’s Office and the Marriage Certificates (two) are TT$37.50 from the Registrar General’s Office. Please note that it can take around a week from application to get them. When applying for a wedding license, you will be required to make an affidavit or statutory declaration declaring that you are single and free to marry.
- Proof of residence – passport and airline tickets
- Identification of applicants – passport
- If divorced, original or notarized copy of degree absolute
- If widowed, original deaths certificate of spouse.
- Deed poll or other proofs of name change where name differs on documents
- NB. A notarized English translation is required if documents are not in English.
The license costs TT$337.50 (US$51) which is payable in cash.
Tobago Warden’s Office
Tel: 868 639 2410